Blog #4 Life at 8,000+ Feet

Everyone working on their knives

Well, hello hello! It's Blake and Rubey Grace writing the first blog from Ecuador!
Yes, we are here! We arrived two weeks ago, 9,000 ft. up on the beautiful farm named
Palugo. Upon arrival, we met our lovely new family member, Maily, and were greeted with a beautiful Ecuadorean meal. As we began to settle in, we were introduced to the rest of the Dammer family, and through their tours and classes, we gradually grew accustomed to the complexity of the surrounding farm. Now, we have taken on new chores, including 4:30 am milking of the cows and feeding the guinea pigs. We have eaten a wide array of South America’s wonderful fruits and grains, fueling our minds and bodies as we study in the sky lit Chozon, our communal workplace. As we walk over the land each day, we stay clear of spitting Alpacas and await the taste of guinea pigs. We are truly in Ecuador.

Already, our group has been exposed to rich information and true work. We dove into permaculture with Thomas and explored the unbelievable underground irrigation system that powers the farm. We’ve become bees with Mathias and tasted the sweet nectar they produce. We made our own expedition balms with Marcea, as we sat in her garden listening to how nature can heal. We’ve gone to Quito’s brand new museum and tasted a little bit of what Ecuador’s history looked like. We began our second portion of biographies and poetry, successfully completing this round with outstanding performances. Now as we prepare ourselves for the unknown, we must feel rightly equipped. Individuals created their own personal knife and sheath. With great guidance from our teachers, we proudly wear our knives attached to the hip.


Zach working closely with Mathias on his knife handle


Roberto explaining the history and process of knife making


Everyone's knife, like themselves, has their own style


Mathias coaching Edie in the skill of knife hafting


Getting to know the farm was a truly enriching experience but the time has come to return to the wilderness. All the Big Jobs are in full focus on these last days as we prepare for the expedition. Food managers are sorting food, attempting to feed 21 energy-sucking individuals 150 meals worth of food, logistics managers are preparing resupplies, and navigators are laminating maps and discussing routes as we take off on our 50-day expedition on Wednesday- heading south to Cojitambo to prepare our bodies and begin our rock-climbing course. As we prepare for the expedition, we thought it might be important to tap into what pieces of gear the semester students are using the most:

Blake- Handkerchief, “Because it carries all my nose juice.”
Charlie- Snack-jar, “I like Ecuadorian snacks.”
Sofia- Winter hat, “It's gorgeous and keeps me warm.”
Liam- Handmade knife by Edie, “Because I’ve carried it with me on all my journeys."
Maily- The clean clothes I sleep in, “Because I feel fresh after a dirty day."
Rye- Long underwear, “It makes me feel like the world is warmer. I’m in my own climate.”
Fiona- One pair of socks, “I’ve used them every day.”
Savanah- Backpack, “I put everything in it for the day and always have what I need with me.”
Edie- Sleeping bag, “It simply keeps me warm.”
Misha- Hatchet, “I like to hit things.”
Zach- Shoes, “They save me from the endless blanketed ground of thorns."
Kory- Same pair of clothes, “Worn them for the past month and a half.”
Danya- My blanket, “It’s fuzzy and keeps my head warm.”
Lucy- My Carhartts, “They can carry multiple pens, bandana, and a knife easily.
Backpack on legs.”
Emma- Workpants, “I wear them every day so other things won’t get dirty.”
Rubey Grace- Chacos, “Because I feel like my feet look like a true adventurers.”
Juan- Knife, “Because it's my knife.”
Dylan- Guitar, “Because it's peaceful to play.”


Can you tell me who I am?
I wouldn’t be so sure
I changed, erased and rewritten
Care to write a sentence of my soul
Can you tell me who I am?
After knowing me days, and days apart?
Can you tell me why I do the things I do?
And how to fix mistakes done and done again
Can you tell me who I am?
How to grow a seed of patience
Water it with calm
And grow to be a better self
Can you tell me who I am?
You claim to know me
So tell me how I am
So I may know myself
---Sophia

Savanah and Maily, Maily is from Mindo, just outside of the capital of Ecuador, Quito.
Her first impression of the group is that we are happy, and she feels very integrated into the group. She is most excited about being immersed in the Amazon rainforest and to see the variety of birds and snakes that live there.


Danya carving with his knife

Dylan, Juan and Misha take a minute to reflect on the fine art of mustache growing


Expedition Preparation 


Comments

Popular Posts